Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Things For Which I'm Thankful

The past couple of days have been a whirlwind. In the midst of having a baby in the NICU I have found myself continually thinking about how blessed we have been in this little adventure. Here are some things for which I'm thankful (in no particular order):
  1. I'm thankful that William Oliver is making steady progress.
  2. I'm thankful that he is slowly being weaned off oxygen. The CPAP mask has been removed and now he's only using a tube on his nostrils.
  3. I'm thankful that Kim is doing really well. She is healing nicely from the stresses of surgery.
  4. I'm thankful that our nurses have been fantastic and helpful.
  5. I'm thankful that our family has been great. My family came over from Tampa and Kim's mom flew in last night from Chattanooga.
  6. Speaking of...I'm thankful that Belle's flight made it from Chattanooga. It was set to get into Orlando at 8:40pm...I picked her up at 1:30am. Better late than never, right?
  7. I'm thankful for Bud and Grey Leonard who came on Sunday night to pray with us before Will was born. The also brought me dinner...and I'm always thankful for dinner.
  8. I'm thankful that Bud thinks we named Will after him. It's good to have your Church Administrator/elder/Chopper Fighter Pilot/landlord/manly man/Bud happy.
  9. I'm thankful that I've managed to keep going despite the fact that I've only slept a few hours over the last two days. Praise God for caffeine and adrenaline.
  10. I'm thankful that when Will gets an x-ray they use this little thing...
  11. I'm thankful that they have scones, cookies, and coffee in the "Relaxation Lounge". They also have massage chairs and while I haven't had a chance to use them...I feel better just knowing they are there.
  12. I'm thankful that when the Neonatalogist uses terminology that I don't understand I find comfort in believing that at least he understands what he is saying.
  13. I'm thankful that nine years ago tomorrow (January 5, 2002) I married my best friend and now we have three beautiful children.
  14. I'm thankful that when I went into surgery I didn't have to wear a hair net because really...what would be the point? Although the Anesthesiologist didn't have to point it out every few minutes.
  15. I'm thankful for spell check because I don't know how to spell anesthesiologist.
  16. I'm thankful for Staci and Ted for watching Hunter and Millie for the first night. You guys are awesome.
  17. I'm thankful for Jennifer and Rodney for watching Hunter and Millie last night.
  18. I'm thankful for Fritz staying at my house with the kids until I got back from the airport (which was supposed to be around 9:30pm and turned into 2:00am). Fritz, you're my hero.
  19. I'm thankful for free wireless internet at the hospital.
  20. I'm thankful for Rena, the massage therapist, who gives massages to new Moms...and Dads! She started working on my back today and asked me, "What do you do for a living? Are you at a desk most of the day?" I said, "I'm a seminary student and I read a lot." She told me, "Yep, I can tell." I wonder if what she's trying to say is that seminary has given me the flexibility of a porcelain doll.
  21. I'm thankful for the "Busy" button on my cellphone. I'm so glad people want to call and I'm so glad that you understand when I ignore you.
  22. I'm thankful that every time you hear the lullaby chime in the hallway, someone just had a baby.
  23. I'm thankful for RTS-Orlando and how they have cared for us. Dr. Sweeting was coming by the hospital today. Some professors have sent encouraging emails. The registrar helped me with a class I had to cancel and reschedule. The secretaries have sent emails asking others to pray for Kim and Will.
  24. I'm thankful for Pastor Frank and Agnes for coming by to see us last night. It was a lot of fun to talk and to show off my Kindle to someone who I knew would get really excited.
  25. I'm thankful for Hunter and Millie. They are a great Big Bro and Big Sis combo. (Staci, thanks for the shirts!!)
  26. I'm thankful for a God who would bless us so much by giving us Will, Millie, and Hunter. Children are blessing from the LORD.
  27. I'm thankful that Will was born at the exact time that he was supposed to be born. It has been good for me to realize that even though my plans are not sovereign, I can lean hard into a God whose plans are.
  28. I'm thankful that Will's cardiogram came back clear and his heart murmur is nothing and will resolve itself.
  29. I'm thankful that Will took some milk this morning. The sooner he figures out how to use his stomach and how to eat the sooner we get to come home with him.
  30. I'm thankful Kim's preferred doctor was on-call Sunday night.
  31. I'm thankful for friends who live in different time zones. When it's 1:00am and you're sitting in an airport cell phone lot and you need someone to look up something on the internet its good to have friends in Alaska. Aaron and Katie, thanks for answering the phone and talking with me and praying for us.
I could go on and on, but I'll just post a few pics and call it day for the blog. We love you and please keep praying that Will will get to go home when Kim is discharged. We'll trust in God's timing but we want to leave the hospital together.

1 comment:

Coverstones said...

I'm thankful for your thanks--because they let me in on what's going on with you all, because it reminds me of what great people we left behind in Orlando/St. Paul's, and because it encourages me to be thankful in the details.

Wishing we were around to come see you . . .