Tuesday, January 18, 2011

All are Home and Accounted For

Our days in the NICU are over. Praise the LORD!
Kim and I went in this morning and Will had met all the benchmarks to be discharged. It was weird actually putting him in real clothes and his car seat today. He only looks like he was strapped in for a space shuttle launch. In reality it's just a Chevy Venture...but it does have leather seats and cruise control. But it was good to say a final good-bye to the nurses. They were great, but it's nice to not be seeing them on a regular basis. It was sad that I started to figure out the work rotation schedule.We're thankful for this process. Kim and I have been so encouraged by how so many friends and families rallied to watch Hunter and Millie, cook meals, and just generally do anything we needed. I'm pretty sure I could have started making completely random requests and someone would have done it.
"Hey friend, remember when you said call if we needed anything? Well, I need a fake mustache just like Tom Selleck's."
"Sure thing. Do you want it like Magnum PI or the new one with touch of gray like Blue Bloods?"
"Magnum PI."
"Give me twenty minutes."
I mean, I never needed a fake mustache much less one that looks like Tom Selleck's, but if I did you guys would have gotten it to me. I can't really say how much you all mean to us. I haven't even mentioned how you prayed for us. I know you prayed for us because when I made jokes at inappropriate times, Kim laughed.We are so glad to be home. It is a little weird, though. Around 5pm, I started getting that feeling like I was running late. Usually we were getting ready to head back to the hospital at that time. We've also been letting the nurses change all the diapers. Well, the nurses ain't around no more. So we're back to the diaper changing routine. Sometime when I'm feeling especially excited about changing diapers I'll post Martin Luther's comments on diapers. It'll make you rethink baby poo...but in a good way.
Now the real fun begins. We're so blessed that the LORD has allowed us to have Will. Kim and I have the privilege to raise him and his brother and sister in the fear and admonition of the LORD. I was encouraged at church on Sunday as I led the congregation in reading Psalm 127. The second half of the psalm says:
3Behold, children are a heritage from the LORD,
the fruit of the womb a reward.
4Like arrows in the hand of a warrior
are the children of one’s youth.
5Blessed is the man
who fills his quiver with them!
He shall not be put to shame
when he speaks with his enemies in the gate.

1 comment:

gak said...

Sorry to hear that you all have had a rough go of it. Glad you are home and doing well. Your kids are beautiful.
love Kathy Snow